Saturday, April 4, 2009

It’s why we are here

I’m in Denver, Colorado right now.  I’m looking at snow out of a hotel window.  I’m here to help my sister who is having some health problems.  Yesterday as I sat in the Wichita Kansas airport waiting for a connecting flight, I checked my email.  One of them had the subject line: I thought you should know.   This is how the email started: “Pastor you don’t know me but I thought you should what I know about someone who attends you church.”   The person (who didn’t give their name) then went on to tell about a person who has done a lot of things in their life and has messed up in some spectacular ways.

I’ve read the email now a few times and since they didn’t ask me to do anything I can’t really tell you why the email was sent.  This afternoon I finally sent a response.  Here is what I wrote:

I don’t really know (the name of the person they mentioned) but the fact that he has screwed up in life doesn’t surprise me.  I don’t know whether you know me or not but I’ve screwed up in my past and continue to mess up now.  In fact everyone who attends Community Christian Church is someone who has screwed up in their life.  We don’t think we are perfect, we believe Jesus is perfect and He has chosen to love us and give us grace in spite of our sins.  Now because of His grace we are free to love Him and love others.  Being a place where a guy like (the person they named) feels accepted is why we are here.  We trust that over time the love of Christ will change Him as He is changing us.  Thanks you for letting me know that we are doing our job.

3 comments:

Guylaine Ohadi said...

Ed that is just the most perfect response. I love it!!

Guylaine Ohadi said...

Ed that was the perfect response. I just loved it!!

Unknown said...

To the writer of that letter: My hope is that you heard Jason's eloquent teaching explaining why Jesus had to die. Good response, Ed.