Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday night - off the fence

  • I have had so much fun the last three weeks talking about some stuff that I am very passionate about. It was also a lot of fun watching so many people step up and do a "first serve" today.
  • Got this quote today after the message "Many persons have the wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose." Helen Keller
  • The non-work part of my life just got a lot better - pitchers and catchers reported on Friday. I can smell the baseball in the air. My wife gave me a Valentines gift - trip to spring training.
  • Okay get after it and invite all those angry people you know to be here starting Sunday. The series dANGERous is going to be awesome.
  • We only have four more weeks before we launch the new campus at Madras
  • If you have a lot of friends who were 'scandalized" by the card back in the fall with the two guys drinking beer on it - you need to put your armor on we have another card coming this week.
  • Pray for Bill Coffman and the team that are going to launch the Madras campus.
  • Pray for these cards that are coming this week. We are not sending them to generate "heat" from the "christians" in our county. We are sending them to let people know that no matter who you are or what you've done grace is available to you and you are welcome at Community Christian Church.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The comments by you in this weeks message reminded me of what a famous humanist/atheist (I cannot recall exactly who it was) said in a suicide note, "I tire of trying to find devices to fill a 24 hour day." That is something that would not be very hard for anyone to conclude after most of a lifetime of seeking satisfaction and fulfillment out of life through their own efforts. It is only in Christ that a person will ever find themselves and see who they really are.

It has been also said somewhere to the effect that "we are forever searching to find ourselves and will only find ourselves in Thee." That is so true. It is then that you can come to realize that you are a special creation of God and have a purpose. That purpose can be found in seeking Him and discovering your place in Him. Serving the One who brings us to such a place is worth more than any other pursuit we could ever go after.

It is not that we can ever "DO" anything "FOR" Him but that He gives us the privilege to work with Him, participating in His Kingdom here and now. He equips us to accomplish the "DOing" and has a much better return for our efforts than we can imagine.

Unknown said...

I was actually thinking of what Augustine said in my earlier comment, "Our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee". My reference to this was not accurate but it was in essence still saying the same thing.

In Christ we can find our rest. Hebrews chapters 3 & 4 speaks to this. Matthew 11:28-30 is even more applicable. His rest and His easy yoke will be the key in going with Him in the work of His Kingdom (serving). The Monday devotional from the bulletin insert directly addresses my point in 1 Cor. 9:23 (read it all for yourselves). I had not even read it before this morning.

Adam said...

I recently had a discussion with other Christians from our Church about why I think these post cards are important. Some that I have talked to think that we shouldn't be sending out post cards like these. They think that they send the wrong impression about our Church. Ive heard it argued that they give the impression that we as a Church advocate alcohol/drugs ect... My main objection to their criticisms is "Well you were Church people before you started attending CCC!" I WASN'T. And I can assure you that a post card like the ones that we send out, would definitely get me into Church. There are people that are in my Wednesday night small group there because of these post cards. I think everyone at CCC should welcome the criticisms and almost wear it as a badge of honor. Its wonderful knowing that the Church cares so much about reaching unconnected people that we are willing to "take heat" from other Christians to do so.

Anonymous said...

We got the new mailing on Saturday. I know this card will bother a lot of people, and I understand that. But honestly, my first thought was my "rasta" friend who loves me and my family but wants nothing to do with churches because she thinks Christians are judgmental and have nothing in common with her. I can't wait to show this to her and see what she thinks!

Ed said...

The phone calls have begun. Pray for our staff to react with the kind of grace that the card offers. We have to react with that kind of grace to christians who don't understand.

Anonymous said...

To Ed's point:, a passages in the NT I really love: "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; making the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." (Colossians 4:5+6.) I believe we'll all be having more opportunities to do just that. We all need to pray and remember that God's Grace is a powerful thing.