Tuesday, March 25, 2008

God for Dummies this week

"If I know your image of God, I can tell all kinds of things about you."  I heard that statement a long time ago and the longer I live the more I believe it's completely true.    A recent study gave us some data that would indicate that our view of God can predict our values and our politics.  Here is a brief USA today overview of the study.  This study says that most Americans hold one of four views of God.  The real question though is not which view do you hold but what is God really like and how can we know?

Starting this Sunday we are going to begin a series called "God for Dummies".  We chose to use the "For dummies" books as the title for this series because those books do an incredible job of taking complex subjects and making them understandable to just about anyone.   We are going to try to do the same with the very complex subject of God.

Please plan on being a part of this series.  Whether you are at Madras or Sharpsburg invite someone to come with you.  Here is the video we used this past Sunday to intro the series.  Enjoy!  Or if you take yourself real seriously - please don't watch it.

1 comment:

simon said...

I thinks that Andrew is the one that made the video the most...."interesting" lol. No but seriously, I told one of my out of state friends that we showed that video at church, and they said, "wait a minute, your telling me that a church showed a clip from that movie in a service? What kind of church do you go to?" And all i could say is, the kind that you don't obviously. The first thing that popped in my mind was...church for the rest of us. Kind of weird, but that video caused that conversation. Now my friend really wishes he was here in GA to check our church out. He is jealous in ways. Go us.